The Bourbon Bloody Mary
What’s brunch without a cocktail? The Bloody Mary is a standard for the midmorning meal, but it doesn't always have to be made with vodka. Yes, you read that correctly. From gin to tequila, many variations on this classic have already become standard at our favorite brunch spots.
But have you heard of a Bourbon Bloody Mary? Stepping away from the more obvious clear spirits, we're upping the ante with a more complex twist on the classic. Tomato juice gets shaken up with spicy pickle brine, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, and a healthy dose of Bulleit bourbon.
For our pickle brine we like to use McClure's spicy pickles. Spiked with cayenne and habanero peppers, it adds the the perfect amount of heat to this cocktail without being too overpowering. And when it comes to the horseradish, we highly recommend grating it fresh. Trust us, it makes all the difference.
The Bourbon Mary
Makes Two Drinks
- 2 shots bourbon
- 2 shots spicy pickle brine
- 4 shots tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh horseradish, grated
- 1 large pinch salt
- 1 large pinch pepper
- 10 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Garnishes of your choosing (we suggest pickles, caper berries, celery leaves and dill sprigs)
- Combine all ingredients in The Mason Shaker.
- Add ice to the shaker to just above the level of the liquid.
- Cap and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Strain into tall glasses containing cubes of ice and garnish.