Shop The Recipe
The Mason Tap
The Mason Tap Set
In Calabria, the southernmost region of mainland Italy, you'll find some of the spiciest food in the country, including this slow-infused chili oil. We keep it close at hand, year-round, adding drops of flavorful heat to any dish that needs a bit of kick.
The process for making this delicious oil is simple. Coarsely grind chilies and combine with olive oil in a Mason jar. Seal and shake, then let the oil sit in a cool, dark place for two weeks. Eventually, the chilies will separate from the oil and sink to the bottom of the jar. (This is a good thing, allowing you to easily pour off the clear chili oil on top.) Simply cap the jar with The Mason Tap, and you're ready to start dressing any dish you like with an extra pop of flavor.
Note: If you can't find Calabrian chilies, you can substitute your favorite type of spicy dried chili.
makes 8 oz
- 1/2 oz of dried Calabrian chilies
- 8 oz of extra virgin olive oil
- Grind the chilies in a spice grinder or food processor until coarsely ground (use gloves or wash you hands immediately after handling!)
- Combine with the olive oil in an 8 oz Mason jar, and shake until the ground chilies are evenly suspended in the oil.
- Let sit in a cool, dark place for two weeks, allowing the oil to infuse and the chilies to settle.
- Use sparingly as you would use hot sauce. The infusion will keep for up to two months stored in a cool, dark place.