Shop The Recipe
Named for a quirky derby hat-shaped restaurant that stood in Los Angeles during the golden age of Hollywood, The Brown Derby is a classic cocktail featuring bourbon, grapefruit juice and honey syrup. Here, we've decided to put our own twist on the libation by swapping Don Julio añejo tequila for bourbon.
Because it is aged in oak casks, añejo tequila's flavor profile is similar to that of bourbon and pairs perfectly with citrus. Honey syrup (a combination of equal parts honey and water) adds a sweet note to the mix, balancing the pleasantly bitter notes of the grapefruit. We also like to add grapefruit bitters to this cocktail, but the recipe still works without if you can't find them.
Makes two cocktails
- 3 shots añejo tequila (we like Don Julio)
- 2 shots grapefruit juice
- 1 1/2 shots honey syrup (equal parts honey and water)
- 1 shot lime juice
- 2 strips grapefruit zest (for garnish)
- 4 dashes grapefruit bitters (optional)
- Add all ingredients to the Mason Shaker (except garnish).
- Add ice, cap and shake for 20 seconds.
- Strain into two chilled coupe glasses and garnish with grapefruit zest.